Live BlogON THE BOX
- 22:38, 12 Mar 2022
- Updated: 22:38, 12 Mar 2022
MANCHESTER UNITED have secured a crucial win over Tottenham thanks to Cristiano Ronaldo.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner bagged a hat-trick to see off fellow European contenders Spurs.
And that makes him men’s football’s all-time record scorer, according to Fifa statistics.
JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)
- Ronaldo’s expected goals was lessCristiano Ronaldo proved he remains one of the world’s best strikers after grabbing a hat-trick in Manchester United’s 3-2 win against Tottenham.The 37-year-old icon stole the show at Old Trafford as he starred on his return to the side having been left out of the matchday squad that lost against Manchester City.It was the five-time Ballon d’Or winner’s first United treble since 2008.His 805th, 806th and 807th goals moved him past Josef Bican to become Fifa’s all-time top scorer.And the Portuguese forward is now the second oldest player to score a hat-trick in the Premier League, behind only Teddy Sheringham.To make his performance against Spurs even more impressive, Ronaldo’s expected goals (xG) for the game came in at just 0.85.
- Stony-faced hat-trick hero Cristiano Ronaldo was first down the tunnel after sinking Tottenham – but only after asking Manchester United staff to get him his match-ball.Recalled Ron hugged SPURS boss Antonio Conte and applauded Old Trafford fans before his swift exit increased speculation he is unsettled.The legend mocked the decision to axe him last weekend with just his second ever treble for United – and first since January 2008.But his sullen look afterwards added weight to suggestions he could try to quit Old Trafford in the summer.Ronaldo was taken off on 83 minutes, shortly after his header nicked a 3-2 win.And his dramatic departure at the final whistle came after he reportedly met with agent Jorge Mendes to discuss his future.
- Man Utd legend Roy Keane warned Tottenham’s Cristian Romero that Harry Maguire won’t forget what he did after his own goal.Son Heung-min fed Sergio Reguilon down the left flank and the Spurs ace delivered a low cross towards Romero – but Maguire got his clearance wrong and scored an own goal on 72 minutes.That levelled the game at 2-2 at Old Trafford and the Argentina international was quick to rub salt in the centre-back’s wounds.The defender appeared to be either shouting or laughing at Maguire as he was sitting down on the pitch dejected at his mistake.But Keane, who is no stranger to heated confrontations, warned Romero that the England international will “take note of that”.The United great told Sky Sports: “Not good. You’ll take note of that, don’t worry.”
- Bruno Fernandes couldn’t help but poke fun at VAR after a decision for Ronaldo’s second goal went in their favour.Fernandes was missing in action for United, and was forced to watch the game from his home.And he would’ve been off his chair when Jadon Sancho raced on to a through pass, as Spurs players claimed offside.The winger squared the ball to Cristiano Ronaldo to tuck home, but Tottenham’s defenders were adamant it shouldn’t have counted and asked the referee to take a look at it.However, VAR correctly called the decision in the Red Devils favour, which Fernandes said: “Is finally work for us too” with an Instagram story of the goal.
- Patrice Evra was full of praise for pal Cristiano Ronaldo after his heroic display against Tottenham.The Portuguese forward, 37, scored all three goals as the Red Devils overcame Spurs 3-2.And Evra singled out the five-time Ballon d’Or winner for his display, following weeks of criticism that insisted he was the reason for United’s recent woes.
- A sublime hat-trick from CR7 was enough to see off Spurs at Old Trafford.That upped Cristiano Ronaldo’s tally against Tottenham in his career to 10 goals.And it seems playing against the North London side would be ideal for the Portuguese superstar every week.Incredibly, he’s scored more goals against them than any other Premier League side playing for Man Utd.
- Rangnick relieved at Ronaldo performanceSince I arrived, that was Ronaldo’s best performance. Energetically he was good, part of the whole team when we had to defend. A top performance by him, but also the rest of the team… It is a challenge with a player like him but he has shown today he still has the quality to play for a club like Manchester United and he is also a part of the team.Ralf Rangnick, Manchester United bossRangnick was full of praise for Ronaldo, paying particular attention to his team play. But he did mention “it is a challenge with a player like him”.Whatever the future holds for Ronaldo, he has silenced a lot of critics this evening.
- I don’t think we deserved to lose the game… We have to improve. We are conceding a lot from set pieces.Antonio Conte, Tottenham bossAntonio Conte appeared understandably disheartened in his post-match interview. He thought his team deserved better, but did admit they needed to improve. He went on to praise Ronaldo referring to him as the greatest alongside Lionel Messi. But Conte believes without him, “it wasn’t a good night for United”.
- With 59 hat-tricks along the way!Not bad Cristiano, not bad at all.
- FULL-TIME – Manchester United 3-2 TottenhamHat-Trick hero Ronaldo, leads United to a much needed win at Old Trafford.Spurs came close on several occasions, but in the end, weren’t clinical enough in front of goal. In contrast, Ronaldo’s superb finishing means the Red Devils jump into fourth place, two points above Arsenal, despite playing four more games.
- Manchester United 3-2 Tottenham93, Everyone is back behind the ball for United, and it’s floated into to De Gea who spots Sancho at the other end. It’s played to Cavani who slides it back into Sancho, but the distraction of Romero’s sliding challenge sees it go wide.Last roll of the dice for Spurs, now.
- Manchester United 3-2 Tottenham90, The board goes up for 5 minutes of added time, and a nervous cheer and mutter rings round the stadium.Spurs will pile men forward, now.
- Manchester United 3-2 Tottenham88, Kane finds himself wide and chips the ball towards the box, but it lands on the roof of the net. Poor from a player of his quality.Not long for united to hold on, now.
- Manchester United 3-2 Tottenham – Spurs double substitution87, Ben Davies is replaced by Steven Bergwijn and Bentancur is off for Harry Winks.
- Manchester United 3-2 Tottenham86, Son’s delivery from the free kick is right on the money, but no one in white can reach it and it’s a free kick to United.Kane is back on his feet and moving normally.
- Manchester United 3-2 Tottenham – United yellow card85, Paul Pogba puts in a heavy challenge on Harry Kane who looks to be in serious pain here.Jonathan Moss insists that Kane must leave the field before the free kick is taken.
- Manchester United 3-2 Tottenham – United change83, Lindelof is on for the goalscorer Ronaldo in a defensive move by the manager.The forward gets a huge applause as he walks towards the dugout.
- Manchester United 3-2 Tottenham80, Ronaldo’s done it again! Extraordinary!Telles swings in the corner, and the Portuguese jumps higher than everyone to head the ball powerfully into the top corner.The crowd have gone crazy, and Ronaldo is the hero, again.
- GOAL! Manchester United 3-2 Tottenham